Echuca is ideally located as the nearest point on the Murray River to Melbourne and an important river crossing point to New South Wales. This geography ensured its early development and cemented its place in history as a thriving river port city following its founding in 1854.
Echuca Wharf is an impressive survivor of the Murray River trade of the late 1800s, attesting to the critical role that the river trade played in the pastoral boom and in the rapid economic growth and development of the colonies during this time. The building of the original wharf commenced in 1864 and was completed in 1867. As the trade grew, so did the wharf, being extended in 1877, 1879, with final extensions in 1884 ultimately reaching 332 metres in length.
SKILL LEVEL: Medium, designed for the person that likes a challenge, but does not want to be too challenged.