Luna Park was officially opened to the public on 4 October 1935, to almost immediate success. Long queues waited in front of the park's notable entry's giant face, designed by Rupert Browne. Most wanted to rush in and be first on the Big Dipper, the park's rickety roller coaster ride.
Luna Park's 9-metre-wide smiling face, as well as its flanking towers, have presided over the main entrance for almost all of the park's existence. There have been eight distinct faces, installed in 1935, 1938, 1939, 1946, 1950, 1973, 1982, and 1994. The seventh Face was donated to the Powerhouse Museum in May 1994. The eighth and current Face, completed in 1994 and carved from polyurethane, is based on Arthur Barton's 1950 "Old King Cole" version.
SKILL LEVEL: Medium, designed for the person that likes a challenge, but does not want to be too challenged.